Sunday, August 16, 2009

Golf


From the standpoint of someone who has never been a "golfer" that is to say, someone who has tried on many occasions to golf and has not considered any of his ventures a success, I do truly enjoy golfing movies. I guess some precedence needs to be set. I wanted to golf, I even lettered in golf in high school. (Looking back on this post I will presumable regret inserting that detail.) But I could never do well enough to enjoy my time on the links. Even most people that know me would say I was doomed from the start simply because I set my expectations to high but that being said, I really stink at the game of golf.

Maybe that is why I enjoy golfing movies so much, from one extreme to the other. I can relate to most every character on some level. From Happy to Roy McAvoy to Bagger, the list goes on and on. Come to think of it, there really hasn't been a bad golf movie that I have seen. (Caddy Shack II discluded.) It's hard to think of a time when Caddy Shack (the only Caddy Shack) hasn't been on and I stopped to watch a few minutes of it if not to it's finish. "It's no big deal." Cracks me up every time I see it.

The mystique that surrounds golf in movies like Bagger does engross me and draws me in although I do recognize it as bupkis and see no reason anyone, even the great Bobby Jones himself, could believe that "a shot finds him." Come on now, your hitting a little white ball with a stick three hundred yards to a hole barely bigger than the ball itself. A challenge worthy of great discipline yes but hardly a life altering affair. But, if your a young Rannulph Junuh chasing a skirt like Adele, well I guess you will believe just about anything you are told.

Tin Cup however seems to capture what I would depict as golf in it's best form if I were ever capable of adapting myself to life as a golfer. Everyone can relate to Roy, I mean come on, he's the anti-hero, from movies beginning to the end. Giving up the Open to fulfill his own needs rather than opting to impress those around him with a come from nowhere win, what more could you ask for?

I could go on but whats the point. I could ramble on and on about these great movies but all you need to do is watch one, any one of them and you won't be disappointed, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment